Tuesday, October 30

One of those days

I woke up rested and fairly happy this morning. Then I arrived at work ten minutes late. Ever have one of those bosses who tap their wrist to indicate the time? I don't. My boss stands behind me as I'm throwing stuff in my cubicle so I can rush off to a training meeting. I don't see him until I turn around. Frankly it's like having a 2ND mother with the the luggage he was giving. Guilt trip you know, had to pack the bags. I absolutely understand I was late and acknowledged the fact. I just don't think a supervisor should vocalize your shortcomings through the office so everyone within hearing range can participate. Whatever.

All things considered I handled myself well until I sat down in the meeting and had a chance to think about the previous events. My emotions have been neatly tied together, during pre-deployment, in order to keep some sort of emotional restraint in the office and not let my family realize that I am complete emotional basket case. Well the tirade (possibly over spoken) over my tardiness was the pair of scissors that opened my neatly packaged emotions. Picture one of those great big pairs of scissors used for grand openings or ground breaking ceremonies.

First the tears came which irritates me even more so the tears come faster. Then, when I attempt to turn off the waterworks my nose starts running. My nose is like an emergency exit plan for tears when the tear ducts are calmed. What a mess. Just so you know, I cry whether I'm sad, happy, tired or just plain pissed off. I left the room, grabbed a handful of tissues, dabbed at my eyes (nose too) and stood in the back of the room in order to regain my composure.

I don't think my boss should treat me any differently because my home life is a little disrupted and unorganized. But really, in the middle of the office?

At least I had a couple of out of office appointments which kept me away and busy. Hopefully, they'll turn into business.

I know I'm not alone in this situation and I don't want to be a complaint. I am striving to be the quintessential Navy wife - strong, together, and emotionally available. If there is anyone out there going through the military wife, deployment thing. I'd like some proof that this is normal and I'm not losing my mind.

L

4 comments:

Scoobers said...

Get some sleep tonight. No late blogging! (I know that it's hard ;)
You'll be rested and on time tomorrow.

Sorry you had a crappy day. I am sending you an email with military/deployment blog sites.
They may be helpful.

Love you,

K

Scoobers said...

Come see your post : )
Love you.

Mandy Lou said...

Hi Laura! Found you over on Scoobers' blog - welcome!

Sorry you had such a crappy day. Isn't it amazing how one little thing can snip that carefully tied string around your emotions and cause the flood gates to open? I too have been having crappy days recently, I know they'll pass - for both of us!

Lori said...

What a way to start your day. I agree with Mandy Lou, it was probably just the last straw to everything you've been going through recently. At least you got to blame/take your frustrations out on your boss instead of your kids.
Welcome to blogging! Try not to get addicted!