Friday, February 15

Calling all Moms - Help!

The household is complete and at peace (not literally). Jerry is home on leave for the weekend.

I went to work this morning, late but nonetheless there, and Jerry decided to hang with Ben. Ben decided not to leave his papa out of site. He asked him earlier this morning "you go bye-bye gain?". Papa told him the truth and said he wouldn't leave for a few days. They made breakfast together, did laundry (yea!) and went to Toys R Us. McDonald's lunch was on the menu and it was there Ben decided to make a stand. Against Papa!

He wouldn't listen, decided he would do anything he wanted whenever he wanted and posed fits of... well, we'll just say fits. Papa decided it was time to come home and take a nap. Ben was not happy with the situation but laid down in bed while Jerry laid on the couch. Jerry awoke about 40 minutes later to find Ben in bed with an entire plate of Valentine's day cupcakes. He was licking the frosting off and throwing the cake part across the room. He also hid the cell phone on which I had left messages earlier and who knows what else. Sadly, Jerry got a small taste of what it has been like since he's been gone.

When I arrived home, Ben was in bed - not quite sleeping I might note. But throwing pillows, blankets and diapers around his room. Good news - the diapers were new. Bad news - the diapers were new. Did I mention, he wasn't wearing pants (or a diaper)? Ben... not Jerry. I got him re-dressed and he is now in the living room playing a video game while Papa attempts to nap on the couch. At least I'm hoping he's still playing quietly.

Suggestions for an unruly 3 year old? Definitely thinking about switching to soy and away from milk at this point. I need to try something as timeouts and spanking doesn't seem to work.

JL

4 comments:

Lori said...

My friend told me time outs never worked for her daughter because she thought it was fun to get them, so she started giving herself timeouts and removing herself from the child and that seemed to work for her daughter because for some reason having her mommy go into her room and take a time out away from her was more effective than giving the child the time out.
I have no first hand experience with this, but it worked for her, and its worth a try.

KL Grady said...

Popped over here to let you know that my child who believes boobs dispense coffee is indeed three. :)

Related to this post, my three-year-old doesn't drink cow's milk anymore because of monster behavior issues. He gets soy milk, almond milk, and rice milk (rotated since they can develop a soy allergy over time), and that has cleared up SO many issues. It's unreal. I think he gets headaches with milk. When he was younger, before we realized what was happening, he'd bang his head on a wall until someone pinned him down. Now he's so easy going (most of the time) and clearly a smartass. ;)

Best of luck on yours. Though it never hurts to try the soy milk. We get ours at Costco, and it ends up costing less than cow's milk. Woot!

Anonymous said...

I don't have any advice, but I do have lots of sympathy. I know how overwhelming a three year old (well, mine is almost three) who is struggling can be for a Mama.

Thank you for the encouragement over at my blog. It means a lot to me.

Val

Mandy Lou said...

Sorry - I'm no help, when my "kid" acts out I tell her she's a bad dog and stick her in her kennel. Not quite the same.

Hope you had a great time with Jerry!