Monday, March 10

A Couple of Weeks Ago... (Part I)

So... I lied. It is now March 10th and I'm just getting to this. My bags aren't even unpacked yet - does that help?

A couple of weeks ago Ben and I boarded a train @ 2:30 in the morning in order to visit Jerry for Family Weekend. At 2:32 we climb aboard the sleeper car with way too many carry ons, change for bed and sit to watch the moonlit scenery whiz past the windows of our car. Much to my disdain Ben is way too excited to sleep and keeps making comments about the view. In order to paint a better picture he is on the top bunk peeking through a one inch gap between his mattress and the window. Yak, yak, yak - I seem to recall a time when I was waiting (& wanting) my baby boy to say his first words. After several pleadings I have somehow cajoled Ben into remaining quiet for 20 minutes. Once an acceptable amount of time has passed and I'm positive he's sleeping, I relax enough for sleep to wash over me.

Jolted out of the falling asleep feeling is a tiny voice calling out "Mama, me sleep with you?". What can I say? My 24" bunk has way too much room for me to sleep comfortably. The rest of the night, I am perched on the edge of the bunk on my side while sleepy noises come from the foot side of my bunk. At least someone got a good nights rest - even though it was only for 3 hours.

Around 6:30 I woke up to a beach side view. Am I on the wrong train? No, we were passing by the Salton Sea - heard of it but never saw it before. Ben wakes up shortly after and wants to go for a walk. We dress and head to breakfast in the dining car. Fully re-fueled we are touring the train and take a rest in the lounge car. Ben is quite impressed with the full-wall windows rising into the ceiling. Took a nap in our car - both of us. Yea!

After switching trains in Los Angeles we begin the meandering trip up the coast in our commuter train. Stopping every 15-20 minutes and sitting in coach. At this point the train effect still has hold of Ben but he's definitely antsy. I liked our little room in which we could hole up & relax. Anyhow, we arrive in Oxnard around 4:30ish. Jerry picked us up and took us and all of our cargo to the hotel room.

Once Jerry was off duty we went to wharf in Ventura to order fish & chips. I have to say the fish would have been better hot but I must say this was the best fish I've ever eaten, even cold. Ben fell asleep on the way. Jerry and I fell asleep a little while later.

The best part of this first day was waking up with Jerry. Even at 0500 since duty calls early.

2 comments:

Mandy Lou said...

I've always wanted to go on a train! Can't wait to hear more.

Oh and I might have to move in with you guys - I didn't realize that AZ doesn't do daylight savings time!!!

Scoobers said...

Did you see 'Pass'????