Tuesday, November 20

Fruits of My Labor


The house smells absolutely yummy. I think it's the nutmeg that makes pumpkin pie smell so very heavenly. I started baking around 9:40pm. Yes, I know it's late but Ben would not fall asleep and I didn't want to distract him from sleepy time thoughts. So anyway, here it is around midnight and I have four pies baked for Thanksgiving. Two will be coming home with me to my parent's house in Tucson and the rest are for well deserving friends.


It's late but I am so very relaxed and content because I was able to do the one thing I so enjoy this time of year. Baking for others. Sure I like to nibble and to sample the wares but I love to package up cookies and send pies home with friends.


I bake my pumpkin pies from scratch. Yup from the actual squash. Typically, I will use the meat from the Halloween Jack O'Lantern (I freeze it). This year we didn't have time to carve a pumpkin much less even pick one up. I've noticed a lot of stores don't carry pumpkins once Halloween is over. I'm not sure where all of those left over pumpkins are taken. I'd like to say they are taken back to the farm where they can once again be free but I'm more inclined towards the cannery option.



I like the process of baking as well as the end result. Taking raw ingredients, cooking them up, mixing all of those delectable spices together with the pumpkin and finally pouring the mixture into a well made pie shell. A grandmotherly type by the name of Marie Callendar makes the shells as I have not yet perfected the art of the shell. Easier too. Anyway, the house smells delicious, I have pies to spare and I feel good.


In about 30 minutes I will have six full size pies and four smaller individual pies. Best of all I was able to throw the seeds in the oven as well so I'm pretty well stocked on both regular seeds and garlic flavor.

7 comments:

Scoobers said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! can't wait. i'll see you tonight hopefully... i am going to lay down for a nap before we get ready to leave.

call me and leave a message to let me know when you guys are driving down.

i guess i could send an email but i'm already here. : ) love you.

Mandy Lou said...

Oh man - I thought I was hardcore, making my own crusts, but you've got me beat! I'm off in a bit to make pies and get started cleaning - can't do thanksgiving dinner in a dirty kitchen.

I forgot to tell you my layover was in Phoenix, I might have been able to get a pie:-)

Lori said...

Oh and I thought I was doing good by making my pumpkin pie from scratch using canned pumpkin. Your version sounds like a whole lot more work, I bet it's delicious.
Have a happy thanksgiving, and enjoy the pies.

Jenni said...

That sounds so good! Jeff made a pumpkin pie from scratch too, and the house smells heavenly!

I hope you and the family have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

MMmm! I just love homemade pumpkin pie. My mom makes it from scratch, including the pie crust. We didn't carve a pumpkin either.. I missed out on roasting the seeds, that's my favorite part. And now that you mention it.. where do all the pumpkins go after halloween? One farm market by us sells "pie pumpkins"

Scoobers said...

i am so glad that we found the pie.

:)

Just Laura said...

I'm glad we found the pie too! By the way, I found Ben's extra pie in the frige when we got home!!!